Web applications are one which is deployed on the server, (example Apache, IIS etc.) and it can be accessed through web browser. Examples of web browser are Firefox, chrome, internet explorer. There are various types of web applications but most commonly used applications are E-commerce, Content Management Systems, Chat Rooms and so on.
Web Application Penetration Testing
In a simple way, we define this testing to find the security loopholes which are placed on the web applications. This testing checks the effectiveness of existing security and also upgrades the security which comes on its way.
Types of Penetration Testing
It is classified into three types:-
- White box Penetration Testing: – It is just like a transparent box in which the clients provide all the informations regarding web application.
It optimizes the code.
Security researchers have full knowledge about target web application.
- Black Box Penetration Testing:- It is just the opposite of white box penetration testing. We do not have full information about the target’s web application as the client does not provide us. Only target domain is provided to us through whom he can take various steps to target web application.
Security Researchers takes steps similar to Black hat hackers.
- Grey Box Penetration Testing:- It is a combination of both, i.e., White Box and Black Box, in which the security researcher gets partial information about the target’s system.
Web Application Penetration Testing Service
In web application Penetration testing, we follow OWASP’s (The Open Web Application Security Project) Guidelines in which our major approach is to use 75% of testing manually and the remaining 25% testing by automated tools. We mainly focus on Back end instead of Front end. There are some key factors of OWASP but not limited to the following:-
- Injection: – It allows the attacker to run the malicious code on the web application. Injections are Categorized into various types: – SQL Injections, Code injection, HTML or XML injection.
- Broken Authentication and Session Management: – The attacker tries to attack on the authentication mechanism to take the unauthorized access.
- Cross Site scripting (XSS): – It is allows the attacker to inject malicious script on a web application.
- Insecure Direct Object Reference: – It is allows an attacker to changes a parameter value that directly refers to a system object to another object the attacker isn’t authorized for.
- Security Misconfiguration: – It is the weakness found in the configuration that may result in unintended application behavior.
- Sensitive data Exposure: – It is a type of salting and encrypting sensitive data in storage. If a system is not secure then their exists chances of having exposure of Sensitive data through unauthorized access.
- Missing The Functional Level Access Control: – It is a flaw that permits a simple user to perform functions of administrator through URL access.
- Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF): – It allows an attacker to force an end user to execute unwanted actions on web applications in which they are currently authenticated.
- Using the components with known vulnerabilities: – It allows an attacker to exploit with known vulnerabilities.
- Unvalidated Redirects and Forwards:- It is allows an attacker gives untrusted input to a web application that could cause the web application to redirect the request to a URL contained within untrusted input.
Our Approach to Web Application Penetration Testing
There are a number of Web Application Penetration Testing best practices and security testing techniques used in Armour Infosec. They include Fault Injection, Grey-box testing and Black-box testing. They are done along with business logic testing, which might exploit an application’s functionality and carry out unwanted actions such as authorization bypass, privilege escalation attacks, parameter manipulation, etc.
Our Web Application Penetration Testing services will provide a complete view of how the business is being exposed to certain risks, due to application vulnerabilities. Our approaches towards Web Application Penetration Testing are as follows:
- Information Gathering
- Application Fingerprinting
- Identifying Vulnerabilities
- Building Test Cases and Vulnerability Validation
- Exploiting Vulnerabilities
- Recommendations and Reporting
Benefits of these methods:
- They identify design flaws and improve application security at development level.
- Determine if unauthorized access may be provided by manipulating client software.
- Identifies specific risks and provide detailed recommendations.
- User confidence in application security is increased.
- Improves productivity and prevents application downtime.
Our reports are custom developed and they provide application specific details with step-by-step information, configuration and code examples.